Sunday, August 30, 2009

Song of the Day: 'West Virginia My Home'

Last January I had been in Boston for two months, didn't really know anyone much except my co-workers, was trying to wrap my mind around my impending divorce, and was shocked to realize that the winter sun sets at about 4 pm in Boston. Plus the temperature did not get above 20 degrees, even in the daytime, for about a three-week stretch.

The last Saturday of January I packed up the cheap Yamaha guitar I had bought to play while my Martin was being repaired after its fateful brush with Southwest Airlines baggage handlers and went out to the Stagecoach Inn in Groton, Mass., for the monthly Boston Bluegrass Union jam. I knew absolutely no one there. By the end of the night, a young fiddle player asked me if I knew the song "West Virginia My Home" and I said I knew of it, loved it, and had never tried to sing it. I promised her I would learn it before the next jam, and I did. Whenever I sang the words "Well, I've paid the price for the leaving/and this life I have's not one I thought I'd find" I was singing my own life right then, even if my home was Texas and not West Virginia.

"West Virginia" was written and sung by Hazel Dickens, a woman with a powerful, direct delivery and by her own admission, a casual relationship with pitch. In a great Washington Post story from 1996, Dickens told writer Richard Harrington, "Oh, I never hit the right pitch. I go for that feel, I go for the jugular. I can't even think about [the pitch]. When I'm singing, I'm thinking about the real things."

Yesterday I drove through a bit of West Virginia between Maryland and Virginia, and I thought about that song again. Here's a video clip of Dickens, then 73 years old, singing "West Virginia" at the 2008 Folk Alliance conference along with Ginny Hawker and Tracy Schwarz. And yes, that is Kathy Mattea, also a West Virginia native, who spontaneously comes up to add more harmony.

3 comments:

  1. Texas is waiting - who else can duet with me and dance the happy Snoopy dance?! I'm leaving you with these lyrics - my favorite part. Yes, I learned it while you were gone :)

    "Then the skies - they fell open
    And my eyes were opened
    To a world of hope falling at my feet
    Now I've no more or less
    Than anyone else has
    What I have is a gift of life I can't repeat

    So I go up Poughkeepsie
    Look out over the Hudson
    And I cast my worries to the sky
    Now I still know sorrow
    But I can fly like the sparrow
    'Cause I ride on the backs of the angels tonight"

    When you get to Tupelo, the song of the day should be "Tupelo Mississippi Flash". Daddy always said that song reminded him of Vicki. :) Love you, sis. Fly like the sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you learn that song from the Bluegrass Gospel Project mp3 file I sent you? Cuz that's not the same key I've been singing it in. We'll have to have a throw down over who sings lead -- it'll be like old times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The song was in the back round and hard to hear, but I really want to know what song it is.

    phlebotomy schools in WV

    ReplyDelete