Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Big Trip

It started on Facebook.

I'm leaving Arlington, Massachusetts, where I've been living for almost a year, to return to Austin, Texas, via Arlington, Texas. I posted on Facebook that I was about to take an epic road trip by myself and wondered if friends had suggestions about potential routings and stops. A friend pointed out that her husband had once visited the graves of the Carter Family in southwest Virginia and the same day also visited Jimmie Rodgers' grave in Meridian, Mississippi. I didn't want to top that feat but it gave me a great idea -- visit the graves of pioneers of bluegrass and country music and post writing, audio, and video along the way. This blog will be the chronicle of the trip.

So it sounds like a great idea to me now, but it's a seven-day trip and we'll see how I feel long about Day 4!

I'm leaving the day after tomorrow, and I'm not quite ready.

3 comments:

  1. Lots of Arlingtons in that trip. Strangely enough I was born in Arlington MA and then lived in Arlington VA for much of my adult life. I don't know your route except for the first leg, pretty humdrum until you get into the VA countryside. I believe that Patty Cline was from Winchester VA -- is that part of your reason for going there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dierdre -- Winchester VA was pretty much on the way if I'm going to I-81 from Massachusetts. It was an added bonus that Patsy Cline is buried there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Winchester from (dating self) 1966 to 1971 (ok, I was really young!) and then over the mountain in Leesburg til after college in the 80's, so you're in my old stomping grounds! Enjoy the Shenandoah valley on Sunday, one of my all-time favorite drives :) Patsy Cline, who knew?

    ReplyDelete