Friday, August 28, 2009

Disengaging

Probably we're none of us very good at disengaging from one thing, one place, one person, or one set of people. It doesn't feel good.

So this living in Massachusetts has been in no way a bad situation. I'm just not at home here, and I want to go home for awhile. I want to base myself at home and travel to here from there, and not vice versa. But, I like many things here in Massachusetts. In 10 months, I've developed routines, friends, places I like to go to, and things I like to do here.

However, in order to leave here I have to disengage from those things and those people. And even though I'm going to be coming back relatively soon, and returning to a routine of coming here once a month for a week or so at a time, I still have to disengage, right now, from the place and from people I've come to care about.

I know people who have a hard time disengaging from a conversation, much less a place and a set of people. I'm not that bad. But I've definitely passed out of my comfort level regarding the process of disengagement here.

In 12 hours, though, one way or another I'm going to be finished deciding what goes and what stays (because some stuff can stay and be shipped later). I'll stop putting stuff in the car, finish disengaging, and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment