Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 3: Wytheville, Virginia, to Nashville, Tennessee

So it turns out that the Carter Family -- at least, AP and Sara -- are pretty much as off-the-beaten-path in death as they ever were in life. And the state of Virginia does not do the traveler many favors in finding them.

I started out the day on the Crooked Trail, which is a route marked through the twisty mountain roads of far southwestern Virginia, linking early recording centers such as Galax and Bristol with the Carter Family Fold and the Stanley homeplace. It's a nice idea, but it would take an entire day to drive it. I started out driving from Wytheville down I-77 to Galax and then picked up the trail. Pretty soon I was way back in the mountains, out of cell phone range and even out of XM radio range at times. And the road was like a carnival ride. (Side note: Still loving my car, though this route would have been way more fun if I didn't have the boxes from my move sloshing about in the back on the hairpin turns.)

After two hours I stopped to eat in Damascus, which is also a center for outdoor recreation (mountain biking, river rafting). Then I took a less circuitous route to Bristol, where I intended to visit the Birthplace of Country Music Museum -- until I discovered it was in a mall! Really, State of Virginia?!! I went on out into the country looking for the Carter Family. No state signs point the way out of Bristol toward these gravesites.

I got turned around a couple of times, but found my way to the Carter Family Fold, which is a theater and site of the restored Carter store and AP Carter's boyhood cabin, none of which was actually open. I did take some video:

AP Carter's Restored Boyhood Cabin:



AP Carter's General Store:



I had researched the gravesites and knew they were at the Mount Vernon United Methodist Church, though I wasn't sure where that was. By a combination of GPS, iPhone, and luck, I found it up the road a bit. It's a really lovely site, with a small church that appears to be still in use, a little cemetery behind it, and a beautiful mountain view. Here's the video I took at the gravesites:



I had intended to go see Carter Stanley as well, but it was already close to 3 pm and I had a six-hour drive to Nashville ahead of me. I decided I should save Carter since Ralph Stanley is still alive. Truthfully, I'd love to come back sometime.

So I came down out of the mountains and had a nice meal at the Cracker Barrel in Morristown, Tennessee. I love Cracker Barrel -- turnip greens, cornbread, biscuits, breakfast all day. I also love their kitschy stores, even though they are getting much more predictable. This one, for instance, had the requisite local college football merchandise.

Then it was on to Nashville!

1 comment:

  1. After being in relationship with Islam for seven years,he broke up with me,I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him,I begged him with everything,I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell,I had no choice than to try it,I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days,that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day,it was around 4pm. My ex called me,I was so surprised,I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened,that he wanted me to return to him,that he loves me so much.I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again.Since then,I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem,I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there.Anybody could need drakugbespellhome1@gmail.com the help of the spell caster, his email:you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything.he also help me to win lottery number which i play to win the sum of $1million euro mega jackpot I CAN NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT YOU dr he is nice just in case you need any help here HIS EMAIL: drakugbespellhome1@gmail.com post by Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete