Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 4: Music Row's Quonset Hut Studio and Studio B

After visiting Spring Hill Cemetery in Nashville, my friend Kevin Paulk and I went to Music Row to get a look at some country music historical artifacts that were not tied to the dead! Kevin once worked as a volunteer tour guide for the Country Music Foundation and knows the background of the historic Quonset Hut studio used by Owen Bradley, as well as the nearby Studio B that was set up by RCA Victor after the success of the quonset hut. Here's a cool picture of the mixing board in the old quonset hut studio.

The slicker, more sophisticated country-pop produced by Bradley at the quonset hut is not my favorite music. I'd rather listen to the rawer, more rootsy sound of honky-tonk from the 50s and early 60s. But there's no denying the historical impact of the sound that Owen Bradley and Chet Atkins brewed on Music Row in the 1960s.

Here's a video of Kevin and me talking about the quonset hut studio:



And here's a video of Kevin and me talking about Studio B:

No comments:

Post a Comment